Monday, June 16, 2008

Another Fun Sketch

When I saw this card on Jen Del Muro's I {Heart} to Stamp blog, I had to give it, along with her fun sketch, a try.

I am such a sucker for plaid and would have plaid everything if I could. The only plaid thing I haven't loved in my life were some of the awful plaid polyester sport coats (and pants) that were all the rage in the late 70's. Marv had several when we were first married and one that I remember more than the others. It was a green/apricot combination that he wore with a peach shirt and green tie. Anyway, I was still in bed one morning when he came in to kiss me goodbye on his way out the door to go to work. I was in my first trimester of pregnancy with Cameron, and all it took was one look at his getup, and I was off to the bathroom for a bout with morning sickness. I blamed it on that sport coat, even though I puked every day for nine months regardless of what the poor guy was wearing. I also went through a phase with plaid wallpaper, doing my kitchen, a bathroom, and one of the boy's bedrooms, learning the hard way that it doesn't really matter how new your house is, the walls are not straight, and thus, neither is the pattern of your wallpaper. Stripes (another phase) work the same way. Ugh! I got relatively adept at using a chalkline.

Back to my card, I had the perfect plaid for this one - one of the patterns from the Sarsaparilla paper packet in CTMH's summer idea book. With the exception of the colors and the second butterfly my card needed in the lower left hand corner, my card is a lot like Jen's. My friend Jeanne made an awesome card using this sketch and stamp set, too, here on her Creative Bliss blog. I love the bright, happy colors she used.

Materials & Tools: Colonial White and Black cardstock; Twilight, Barn Red, and Desert Sand textured cardstock; Sarsaparilla paper packet; Black, Barn Red, Twilight, and Olive ink pads; Verve Visual Petals & Stems and Papertrey Ink Birthday Basics stamp sets; Black mini brads; 1 and 1-1/4 inch circle punches; 3M foam mounting tape.

Albeit a little cool this morning, it was a nice day in northern Minnesota all day. I guess tomorrow is supposed to be nice, too, before the rains come again. As nice days are such a strange phenomena, work should be cancelled. Because I changed the menu for yesterday's family gathering, I am making Dustin his traditional birthday meal tomorrow evening on his actual birthday, which will be nice. OK. That's enough jabber out of me for today. Thanks for coming by to see what I'm up to. I'll catch you again . . . later!

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Terrific use of plaid in this card, Kathi!

Ah yes...I used to hear all the time about how our house walls aren't straight, especially right after we moved in and were fixing it to make it "our home."

Had a good giggle with your description of Marv's outfit and your reaction! LOL

Enjoy the time with your son!

Again, it's a super card and I may have to try the sketch again!