Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Time to Every Purpose . . .

As I tapped out my title, a song popped into my head again. Can you guess? You're right. It was "Turn, Turn, Turn" written by folk singer Pete Seeger in the 1950s and made famous by The Byrds in the mid-60s. The words of the song are taken almost verbatim from the King James version of the Bible (Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8). According to the Biblical text there is a time and place for all things - laughter and sorrow, healing and killing, war and peace . . . so true, and it made for a great song. If there is one thing that is wonderful about having been a child of the 50s and 60s, it is the fact that I grew up during an era that produced the music that literally changed the world.

As for my card, it's the product of what was laying on my desk tonight . . . what I hadn't put away from the night before last. My original intention was to use autumn colors, but in July, I couldn't quite bring myself to do it. The "green" season in way-north Minnesota is just too short. The technique I used for the leaves is called "stamp rolling," which means I inked up the stamp with Sweet Leaf ink and then rolled the edges around my Topiary pad. I created a mask for the leaves before stamping the background with the script stamp. For the bow, I used a glue dot to attach a length of ribbon to the back of the sentiment, ran it through a slit created with a punch, and tied it into a bow with the second piece that I adhered to the back of the card front. Three Topiary mini brads finish it. Again, I like the freshness of the green/white combination.

Materials & Tools: White Daisy, Sweet Leaf, and Topiary cardstock; Topiary and Sweet Leaf ink pads; Natures Vein, Make It Count, and Air Mail (retired) stamp sets; Ribbon from Walmart; Topiary My Accents.

Just to let you know, I'm not a music trivia nut but rather am married to someone who experienced it and have a son (my oldest) who knows so much about music, I'm surprised he has room for anything else in his head. Both are bass guitarists. Both performed in bands. Marv, in fact, was with a band that performed with such groups as the Guess Who and the Boxtops. He might have seen the big time himself had most of his bandmates not been drafted and sent to Vietnam. Every 10 years or so, his band has a reunion and plays to a packed house. It's pretty amazing to me that after a couple practice sessions they're all back in sync and ready to rock. . . 40 years later! Fun!!

As for my day, it was wonderful. As I suspected they might, yesterday's problems pretty much solved themselves before I even got to work this morning. The moral of the story is that every once in a while we have to have a really bad day to fully appreciate the good ones. With that thought, I'll leave you for tonight. Thanks for stopping by, and take care.

3 comments:

Erica said...

very nice...i just got this stamp set & have it sitting out ready to use, but like you cannot do fall yet, not quite yet.

Sylvia said...

Absolutely love your card!

Carolyn said...

Pretty Pretty Card! I love the biblical sentiment. Oh, about the 60's, i had older brothers who listened to all that... back then. LOL TFS