Wednesday, August 6, 2008

. . . Listening is the Beginning . . .

I came across this prayer journal in a gift shop a while back. In its original state, it looked like this - functional but plain. I didn't buy it for its good looks, however, but rather for the fact that I liked the layout of the pages and the fact that writing it down reminds me to be grateful and kind every day, to recognize prayers that are answered, and to say that special prayer for someone else. Although these are not things I necessarily need or should need to be reminded of, I find that in taking a pen to paper, I take so much less for granted.

Loving it just the way it was, I wasn't inspired to make my book pretty until I came across this lovely quote from Mother Teresa - "God speaks in the silence of the heart. Listening is the beginning of prayer."

The altering process was relatively quick and easy. I computer generated the quote on Bamboo cardstock, allowing enough room to stamp the "lace" around the edges. I created a mitered look by masking off the corners with Post-It notes. I only covered the front and front inside covers after deciding that the craft color of the back cover was a close enough match to the Silhouette paper. I covered the front first after removing the cover from the binding. I had two options with regard to adhesive - Yes! paste or my Xyron. I opted for the Xyron. Once my paper was smoothed on the front, I used a craft knife to slit the opening from corner to corner (making an X) and created the frame by adhering the triangle-shaped pieces made by the cuts to the inside cover, trimming as needed. The next thing I did was use my Crop-O-Dile to punch the holes for the binding. Then it was to "frame" my stamped sentiment, attach the length of ribbon that would be my marker to the inside cover with several Glue Dots, and finally, cover the inside cover to hide the ribbon and back of the sentiment. I used the coordinating polka dot paper, again running it through the Xyron. The last steps involved punching holes in the polka dot paper for the binding, using my previously punched holes as a guide, and putting the cover back on the book. As you can see, I kept the embellishments to a minimum. The flower (the largest in the Just Blooms Big Pinks Collection) as well as the paper-backed Window Charms Circle that serves as the center of my flower, were adhered to my cover using giant "Glue Dots" I cut from a CTMH Adhesive Sheet using a 1-1/4 inch punch. To create the double-sided charm for the marker, I used two Window Charms, two 1-1/4 inch Black cardstock circles, and two 1-inch circles of coordinating patterned paper. I stamped Faith on one and Love on the other. To make certain that they stayed stuck, I punched two more jumbo "Glue Dots" - one for each - sandwiched the ribbon in the center and gave them a squeeze. With that, my book was done, and I'll have to say that while I already had an appreciation for it, I love it more now that it's pretty.

Materials & Tools: Bamboo cardstock; Silhouettes paper packet; Black ink pad; Lovely Lace and Faith stamp sets; Ribbon from reasonableribbon.com; Just Blooms Big Pinks; Window Charms Circles; Adhesive Sheets; Xyron 900 w/permanent adhesive; 1 and 1-1/4 circle punches; Craft knife; Glue Dots; Crop-O-Dile.

As a side note, I'll mention that these journals are available in numerous titles and several sizes from www.journalsunlimited.com. Adorned or even unadorned, they would make great gifts. Noting that all that's necessary for a wholesale order is a resale number and a $150 minimum order, I'm thinking that these journals might make for successful and profitable sellers, too, providing one doesn't get too carried away with either the time/work or spendy embellishments.

As this post is so long already, and I jabbered at the beginning, I'll keep it short at the end. I had another good day at work, and everything is reasonably calm on the home front - something to be grateful for and prayers answered right there! I'm going to spend the rest of the evening relaxing before turning in early. I hope your day has been a good one, too. Thanks for stopping!

3 comments:

Sylvia said...

Just wanted you to know I just ordered one of those prayer journals. I journal often and I really liked the layout and the topics. And I had my credit card handy as I had just paid my grandson's college tuition. It has been so nice and warm (sometimes on the hot side)out that I haven't been doing any stamping.

Tracy said...

Your journal is just beautiful, inside and out. I've always loved journaling, and I keep a gratitude journal, but this goes way beyond. I love it! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Jeanne said...

Wow! What a beautiful idea and sentiment. Thanks for sharing! It came out oh so pretty!

Hugs!