Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Not a Great Card, but . . .

I don't have a lot of time this evening, and besides, it's not about the card anyway. It's all about the background paper. You have to try this technique! It's done with the Cuttlebug and embossing folders!! I came across the link to the tutorial on Card of the Week.com. I was intrigued and had to try it last night. It's easy, which is an automatic qualifier for me, and the results are stunning. I did deviate from the tutorial a bit. I started by using the brayer as directed and then resorted to a round sponge that worked just fine and is so much more pleasant - for me anyway.

About my card, I should have used a different, "more serious" pumpkin stamp. The sentiment should have been (and was . . . badly) stamped directly on the background paper. Instead, I ended up covering up my boo-boo with the sentiment stamped on a different piece of paper. The photo shows a couple more pieces of paper I made, a second with the Pumpkin Harvest folder and the other with the Leafy Branch folder. I think I might have cooked/ironed the green one a little too long, but it's cool looking nevertheless. I'm anxious to try this technique with other embossing folders, too. Like I said, however, no time tonight . . .

Materials & Tools: Colonial White and Cocoa cardstock; Autumn Terracotta, Orange, and Chocolate ink pads; Papertrey Ink Spooky Treats and Abundant Blessing stamp sets; Ribbon from Walmart; Cuttlebug w/Pumpkin Harvest embossing folder; Nestabilities w/Classic Circles set; Waxed paper; Iron; Brayer or round sponge.

Marv's home for a night, and the little people are here, too. That wasn't in the plan, but I'm glad it turned out that way because we hadn't seen them for 10 whole days - a record, I believe. I really missed them. While it seems that they learn and change in just a few days time, there are some things that remain constant. Grandpa is currently doing the bedtime battle thing on his own. I am sure I will be "summoned" to assist soon. Bjorn has a cough, and so do I. The chills and the sore throat I mentioned Sunday night did end up materializing into a cold, which seems to be getting a little worse every day. I don't have time for that either.

Once the kids are asleep, I need to sneak out to the grocery store for some ingredients to make a couple of pans of bars for a benefit for a friend that's being held tomorrow evening. Baking at this time of night really isn't my thing, but I've got to get it done. As for posting tomorrow night, if I do at all, it will most likely be late, after the benefit, which will consist of supper, a silent auction, and bar bingo. For now, boys asleep or not, I think I'd best get to the store. I'm yawning and am most anxious to hit the hay myself. Thanks for stopping by. I was really excited about finding this new technique and encourage you to give it a try. I hope you had a great day. Until I get back here, take care!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathi,
I love the background - I'll have to see if I can make it happen!
Hope you feel better soon - I, for one, will forgive you if you take time to take care of yourself.

Sharli
(CTMH - Arizona)

Colette said...

oooooooohhhhhhhh...aaaaaaahhhhhhhh. Gonna try this one FOR SURE!! BEE-U-TEE-FUL!!

Jeanne said...

Wow! This looks amazing! Thanks for pointing out the tutorial because I missed it. I can't wait to try it out.

I'm sorry to hear the cold bug has bitten you. I truly hope you get the rest you need and feel lots better soon. You are almost to the weekend!

Hugs to you my friend!

Unknown said...

Your card looks awesome!