Monday, May 25, 2009

If at First You Don't Succeed ...

Do you ever post a card you think is great, see the photo on your post and only then see ways that it could have been improved? This happens to me all of the time, and usually, I let it go.

I started this post yesterday, putting up the card you see on the top right. I thought it looked a little bare, so took it back to my desk, removed the stamped elements and pearl accents, and stamped a script background on the patterned paper.

Satisfied (or so I thought), I put it back together, photographed it, and added the second photo (bottom right) to my post. My thoughts, however, when I saw the second photo were, "Gee, I wish I'd stamped the bird a little higher in the branches." So, back to my desk I went to take it apart yet again and restamp the focal point image, which I also made a little bigger than the original.

Looking at card #3, I think a different sentiment stamp might have been better, and I see that I need to trim my ribbon. However, I'm not going to photograph it again nor continue this crazy card-making story. The card is my take on CPS#117 on the Card Positioning Systems blog. Breathe easy that I have nothing more to say about it!

Materials & Tools: Colonial White and Cocoa cardstock; Unforgettable paper packet; Cocoa ink pad; Inkadinkado Delicate Branches, Papertrey Ink Mixed Messages, and retired Close To My Heart Air Mail stamp sets; Ribbon from Wal-Mart; Kaiser Kraft pearl accents; Sanding block.

Darned if the sunshine isn't gone, and it's raining today. I was hoping the weatherman might be wrong, and I'd have the opportunity to spend some time outside with Bjorn and Mathias this afternoon. Maybe fire up the grill for supper, too. Not today. For now, I'm off to get going on some inside chores, which include a big pile of laundry and bringing my spring/summer wardrobe out of storage - finally.

What are you up to today? Whatever it is I hope it makes for a good day and one that affords you a few moments to remember what Memorial Day is all about. Thanks for stopping by. It's you, after all, who give me reason to keep on keeping on this funny blog thing. Later...

10 comments:

Kim said...

Your card is beautiful Kathi. I do the same thing sometimes.

Leslie said...

I didn't see anything wrong with the first two, but remember I am the one who says, "Oh well." The card is beautiful.
What do you do with all your cards that you make? I have mine sitting on top of my stamper storage and it is quickly getting covered. I don't like any of them and don't think I would send any of them, but I can't bring myself to throw them away. But then I can't bring myself to throw much of anything away. I am stalling, I am struggling with my layout so I keep finding things to do in other parts of the house. Counting down the days till my daughter moves into her own apartment. She is designing layouts for the move. Both my girls enjoy seeing my work in their albums, but don't want to sit down and do it with me. Oh well, have a great day. We had rain all last week.

Carolyn said...

Pretty card regardless, but yeah sometimes i do the same thing about taking pictures of my finished cards/LO and then don't like it for some reason, and redo it. Like my 23 months sb page. I added wire & brads around "months" Just thought it looked to bare. Have a wonderful rainy day! :)

Jeanne said...

Pretty! I've done that a time or two...All versions of your card are pretty, though. I love that you blogged about it. *Ü*

We are having a soggy Memorial Day here, too. I think today it hasn't stopped raining pretty much all day. The other days, it only rained for part of the day. Sigh...oh well, we can really use the moisture and it's not SNOW! LOL Btw, Steve will still grill the steaks, rain or no rain...hee, hee! He did our chicken in the rain yesterday. Most of the rain we are getting is a good soaker rain, with a few gully-washers thrown in to keep us on our toes.

Laurel said...

Beautiful, love all the pink!

Sarah said...

I also like the first one!!! and would have been so pleased with that....but you just kept getting better and better.
I love the stamped script background..it just made it extra special.

AaronB said...

I think it is awesome! We are our worst critics!

Linda Beeson said...

Wow, do I love the image you used on here and I love the colors. Great use of that CPS sketch.

Dana F. said...

LOL... I loved your post and wrote about just that few weeks ago! It's just that I'm more objective when I see things on the screen :) However, Your card looks fabulous!!

Gabriele said...

wooow, I exactly know what you mean: If I attend a challenge I am (in most of the times) the last one to send my card/ scrap-LO or anything else in... as I change loads of things... and each time I look onto the photo I find another itsy bitsy detail I don`t like...
but: I like all of your cards... they are all really good! And with your final card you really made the 120% best result from it!

Wishing you success with the CPS challenge,
Greetings from Germany,
Gabriele