Monday, July 6, 2009

Da Bear and a Couple of Boats

I think bears are making a comeback, and I couldn't be happier cuz I love 'em! Isn't this the cutest little guy, a digital image I "picked up" this past weekend at the Doodle Palace on Etsy. I don't even know how I got there ... saw something somewhere. You know how the blog surfing goes.

OK. About my cards. You can't even see how cute this top one is, because the photo doesn't reveal that I printed it twice, cut the bear out and attached him to the card with 1/16-inch foam tape. That little bit of dimension adds so much. I colored the image with Prismacolor pencils and Gamsol odorless mineral spirits. I colored around the edges of the bear that is underneath, too, so that from an angle, you don't see a brown bear plopped on top of a white bear. As for the round metal tag (also mounted with foam tape), it wouldn't be there had I not totally screwed up the sentiment when stamping it in the corner. It's OK, because I like the little ribbon accent that wouldn't be there otherwise. I'm thinking those brads that match the dots on the paper are kinda cute, too.

Materials & Tools: White Daisy and Tulip cardstock; Animal Cookies paper packet; Clover Meadow ink pad; Doodle Palace digital image; Sweet Baby stamp set; Round metal-rimmed tag; Topiary, Sunflower, and Tulip mini brads; Cranberry gingham ribbon; Prismacolor colored pencils; Gamsol odorless mineral spirits; Blending stumps; 3M foam mounting tape.

This second image is a cute one, too, although I'm not crazy about my coloring (Prismacolor pencils again) on this one. I do love the Animal Cookies paper. It's fun to make a baby card that isn't pastel, and it's great paper for kids' birthdays, too. What the camera isn't showing you on this one is the fact that the image is adhered to the card with foam tape. Not only does it give the card a little more dimension, but one doesn't have to deal with the lumpy corner created by the spiral clip.

Materials & Tools: White Daisy, Dutch Blue, and Clover Meadow cardstock; Animal Cookies paper packet; Clover Meadow ink pad; Doodle Palace digital image; Sweet Baby stamp set; Green spiral clip; Ribbon from Wal-Mart; Prismacolor Colored Pencils; Gamsol odorless mineral spirits; Blending stumps; 3M foam mounting tape.

Hi, friends! How was your Monday? Mine was pretty good, particularly in light of the fact that we had a day off. Tonight, Bjorn and Mathias are staying with us. From the greeting we received (as in two little boys flying into our arms), I'd say they missed us as much as we missed them. Currently, however, Mathias is mad at me - the bedtime battle thing ... and he's losing. After dinner, we went to the park where they played on the playground and threw rocks in the river, a favorite activity. Grandpa had his fishing rod with, too, and cast a few lines but didn't get any bites. Bjorn appears to have it all figured out, telling Marv, "Grandpa, you don't catch fish every time you go fishing." On that bit of wisdom, I'll sign off for tonight. I hope your day was a good one and tomorrow is even better. Later ...

11 comments:

Sarah said...

I am so glad you have the boys with you tonight!!! and that they have missed you so much. Can you imagine what my guys do meeting my parents at the airport after 1 year!!! It's my Mom's favorite part of the visit...the hugs are so hard you are gasping. My kids look forward to it more than Christmas.
Both of your cards are SO delightful Kathi! That paper is perfect for them.
You are the Prismacolor pencil master LOL
Have a great evening!

Leslie said...

Kathi, Your cards are great. I am so impressed with your coloring and detail. Love the little tag and bow on the first card. not a boo boo, just an opportunity. This week I am getting to scrap with my upline. She is on vacation, which means my husband is on vacation. So I am where he usually is - his lab while he gets to play around the house. We are working on a project that our upline designed and I can't wait to show everyone. If I can get my camera to work. After I took that last photo of the star it started acting up.

Deborah Young said...

I just love your coloring on both of them!!!! I have to try that Gamsol. Where do you buy it? Does it work with our watercolor pencils? Pray tell ;-)

Sparkplug17 said...

Very cute cards! I love the ark one.

Jeanne said...

Oh goodness, Kathi! You inspire me so! I adore both cards. The coloring on each is wonderful and the images just terrific. I love the addition of the tag and am "glad" you made a boo-boo so you could add it.

And I could just feel the joy on both sides when you saw your boys! Priceless.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Anne said...

I love your cards! Particularly the second one - think that you did an excellent job coloring! Who needs copics, when you can do such great things with plain old prismas LOL!

Laurel said...

Adorable cards! All the little animals are so sweet and you can't go wrong with Animal cookies!

AaronB said...

ohh so cute!

Alanna said...

Both of these cards are so delightful and fun. Awesome job. Okay, I just looked over at Sarah's comment and saw that she used the same word--delightful. Well, they are. The coloring is fabulous and what fun images.

Carolyn said...

Too cute! Awesome coloring! I'm hoping to get into my Korner today, hoping :)

Heather said...

Cute cards, Kathi!! I also love teddy bears, so the first is definately my fave!!! Thanks!!!