Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween!

Autumn Splendor_Verve_3_Oct 2010

Other appropriate titles for this post include “Simple Saturday … on Sunday,” “Inspired by Sharli,” and last, but not least, “Can This Card Be Saved?”

First, my friend Sharli at Sharli’s Place has been making some cool cards (like these Yoga cards) where she traces around a rectangular Nestabilities die to create a frame, leaving an opening for the sentiment. It’s a great look, and she inspired me to give it a try.

As for the “Can This Card Be Saved?” aspect of the card, don’t you suppose I finished it only to discover a small ink smudge in the lower right corner? Ugh! That’s where the speckling came into play – first Bamboo and then a little Autumn Terracotta. The unwanted ink was Cranberry. While I would have liked the card better without, the speckles saved it.

A couple of the tree tops were stamped on separate scraps of paper, cut out, and added with foam tape.

Materials & Tools: Naturals (retired) and Cocoa cardstock; Cocoa, Goldrush, New England Ivy, Autumn Terracotta, Cranberry, and Bamboo ink pads; Verve Stamps Autumn Splendor stamp set; CTMH Speckled Background stamp (retired); Black My Legacy Writer; Nestabilities Classic Rectangles set.

A Slice of Life: I reiterate, Happy Halloween! I hope your weekend has been wonderful. Ours certainly has been, albeit I’m too tired to think straight right now. Yesterday was really busy preparing for today, which was a joint Halloween/Birthday celebration. Sarah has expressed the desire to scrapbook, so her gift was easy – particularly in light of the fact she only had a few sheets of paper and a glue stick. She now has a few basics – a paper cutter with some replacement blades, adhesive, a large case-type tote to keep her stuff in, a huge paper assortment from my stash, and instructions to help herself to my stuff – whatever she wants, whenever she wants it. It will be fun to have someone with whom to share it.

The little guys were in fine form today and looked awesome in their Star Wars costumes. They enjoyed the treats I’d made, which included my first attempt at Cake Pops. Whether or not I will attempt these things again remains to be seen. There weren’t any problems until it came to the detail. Most definitely, Wilton would not want me to write a review for its Edible Food Writer Edible Color Markers. While they might write on something, they did not work well on the waxy surface of the candy coating. If there is a next time, I will use homemade “cookie paint” and a paint brush.

As it is too early to go to bed, I am off to see what everyone has been up to in the Blogosphere this weekend. Then, a bath. Then, bed. While it will still be earlier than usual, I don’t think falling asleep with be an issue.

Have a good week, my friends. “See” you soon!

9 comments:

Laurel said...

It is so pretty!

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Hi Kathi! You are too sweet - I think I learned this trick from YOU! LOL

I LOVE the speckles - and was thinking "what genius" and "How did she do that?" - - - you are too funny! I'm guessing that you masked the inside of the nestie.

I have had about 60 visitors tonight - all families - all very polite and sweet! A great assortment of costumes - darling attitudes! Ahh, it makes me believe that all is right in the world when our children are growing up to be nice people.

Hugs!

Sparkplug17 said...

Such a pretty card!

Marie said...

what a pretty card! I like the speckles. I like the technique too - I've tried it a few times myself after seeing it on someone's blog!

Sheila H said...

I like your card. How exactly did you make the speckles?

Jeanne said...

Your card is lovely, Kathi! Sharli's idea is one I want to try my hand at too, someday!

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. And yay, maybe a new crafting buddy! One that is local. LOL I'm bummed to hear that the markers you tried for the Cake Pops didn't work out so well. I think you might want to invest in the ones I used American Gourmet or something like that. I would love to see what you created!

Hope you have an awesome week.
Hugs!

Barb said...

Pretty card, Kathi! Your weekend sounds wonderful.

Sylvia said...

Great card and I love how you covered up a smudge.

Alanna said...

Your card is gorgeous. Wouldn't you know the card I posted on Sunday was also distressed when I wasn't originally planning on it because of some stray cranberry ink. :)

How fun that Sarah wants to start getting into the craft and that you'll have someone to share this with.