Sunday, March 6, 2011

Colored with Copics

Hydrangea_Mar 2011Hi! How was your day?

Here is a card I made Friday, which was colored, nonetheless, with Copics! My friend, Alanna, very sweetly sent me five Copic Sketch pens at Christmastime – the start, she said, of my collection. How fun! The only thing I wasn’t quite certain of was how to get started. Should I buy a few random colors that appealed to me or would it be better to build my collection by purchasing markers in the same color families? Because their blending properties are what make them so special, it made sense to purchase them in color families. From my first order, I have markers from the red, blue violet, and yellow green families. When the order I placed Friday arrives, I will have also have some from the blue, green, and red violet families as well as a couple of greys for creating shadows.

I have been placing my orders with CarpeDiem, where, with a $50 purchase (13 markers), shipping is free. How long it will take to build what I will call a solid collection, I do not know, although I believe that as I get better at using them, I will want to accelerate my purchases. I cannot tell you how much I wish they were readily accessible where I live, however. Placing an order – particularly one that is carefully thought out – is work. Adding a few to a store shopping cart once in a while would make the collecting part so much easier. LOL.

OK. Because this is my first serious attempt at using these markers, please cut me some slack with this card. I used three shades from the blue violet family to color the hydrangea petals and three shades from the yellow green family to color the stems and leaves. While in the photo, it appears that I could have/should have blended the green shades better, to the naked eye, the colors look fine. Darned camera. LOL. Seriously, it’s going to take some time and probably a lot of  tutorials and YouTube videos before I get it figured out. Learning the art of Copics, however, will be fun.

Materials & Tools: Colonial White, Spring Lilac, and Stampin’ Up Crumb Cake cardstock; Black Memento, CTMH Olive, and Stampin’ Up Crumb Cake ink pads; Hero Arts Dots and Flowers Design Block and Hydrangea stamp; Close To My Heart Friendship Garden stamp set (retired); KaiserKraft pearl accents; Copic markers; Round Texture Tool.

A Slice of Life: It’s been a busy couple of days with a wedding yesterday and kids and grandchildren here today until after supper this evening. As planned, Mari spent the night. She has been sleeping through the night for a couple of weeks. Nice. She doesn’t really cry either. Rather, she makes little sounds that have an “I’m not happy” tone to them. Kind of like a complaint. Most of the time, though, she is happy and loves to be talked to. In particular, if I tell her what a pretty baby she is, I am almost always rewarded with a great big smile. Funny, too, how she stares intently at my mouth as I speak. It’s like she really wants to get the talking thing figured out. Oh, and it was so good to see the little boys, too. Mathias and I played a bunch of games while Bjorn played on my computer. They are growing so fast in so many ways.

Thinking about my long “to do” list and not quite caught up on my sleep yet, I am most anxious to hit the sheets tonight … early … right after I straighten up my corner. I truly hope you had a great weekend, too, and are looking forward to the week ahead. That said, I’ll be back soon. Take care, and thanks for stopping by.

5 comments:

Alanna said...

Your card is gorgeous Kathi and your coloring is fabulous. How fun that you're building your collection.

Good luck with your to do list and I hope you can catch up on your sleep.

Sheila H said...

I think you've done a fantastic coloring job. I think your plan for adding to your collection is a good one. I don't have any - too expensive for me - plus my coloring skills are pretty non-existent. Keep up the good work!

Jeanne said...

Congrats on your jump into the Copic revolution, Kathi! I've got to say your first attempt (that you've shared anyway) is gorgeous! I think you've blended just fine. Have fun practicing and adding to your collection.

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. I'm so glad. Little Mari sounds like a gem and I'm glad the boys are doing so well, too. Fabulous!

Leslie said...

Oh am I envious. You look like a pro already with your copic markers. Knowing how much I like your style, your skill with copics doesn't really surprise me.
I have gotten a lot of great info in the way of tutorials at Suzanne Dean's Scrap Bitz blog she has a link for Tutorials/templates. I also like to check out Flourishes.org when I get an order together for my copics. I usually order them from Carpe Diem, but Flourishes sells them in sets and you can put together a good supply of markers that you know will work well together by checking out their collections. Enjoy your coloring.

Barb said...

Kathi! Your Copic coloring skills are AWESOME!! So very hard to believe this is your first attempt. Your card is beautiful. And let me just say, once you go Copic...there's no turning back! Enjoy the journey! :)