Tuesday, March 22, 2011

You Make Me Smile

Gossamer_Mar 2011

Here is my take on FTL #132 as featured recently on the Clean & Simple Stamping blog. The image was colored with Copics – more than once. What is with the inked up sentiment stamps I am dropping on almost-finished cards these days? It’s like the stamping gods are testing my patience and/or perseverance. LOL.

Materials & Tools: White Daisy cardstock; Doodlebug Design Black Eyelet patterned paper; Memento Tuxedo Black ink pad; R24, R29, YG3, and C1 Copic markers; Penny Black Gossamer stamp; Hero Arts Thinking of You stamp set; Red/white gingham ribbon from Wal-Mart; Button from my stash; Close To My Heart Licorice Opaques.

A Slice of Life: Hello! I hope this post finds you healthy, happy, and enjoying the first days of spring. I’m doing OK with regard to happy and healthy but have yet to enjoy spring – much. Currently, Mother Nature must think the inhabitants of the frozen tundra need one more blast of winter in the form of a gigantic snowstorm. While the precipitation has not yet arrived, the forecasters keep saying its coming. Ugh!

The past few days have been busy. We had three overnight guests on Saturday night – the grandkids – which made for a fun evening and Sunday when the “big kids” turned up here, too. Yesterday, I pretty much spent the day recuperating from the weekend and my funky workweek. Today, I had lunch with Mom and did some shopping. Tomorrow evening, it’s back to work. Bummer.

Speaking of “bummer,” there is so much going on in the world right now, I don’t think the media knows what the heck to report. Surely, they are not telling much in the way of good news. Much of it is depressing. Some of it is scary, and we hear much, much  more about the people who are doing bad things than we do about the activities of good folks. I find that sad, because regardless of how wild and crazy the world appears to be, I maintain that most people are good people – ordinary people living ordinary lives – people like you and me.

I have met a lot of good people and wonderful friends through stamping and this blog. One of those special people is my friend, Jeanne, who took the time to email me and offer encouraging words – in a way that only she can do – when my blog was young.

Birth Sampler_Mar 2011Last week, I mentioned a surprise in my mailbox. It was a package from Jeanne that contained this wonderful cross-stitched birth sampler for baby Mari. I was as touched by this beautiful gift as Gfit from JeanneI was by the breathtakingly gorgeous afghan and hat that Jeanne made and sent in January. While I consider myself to be reasonably good with words, I stumble as I try to describe the beauty of these keepsakes and what they mean to me – what Jeanne means to me.

In the card that accompanied the sampler, Jeanne noted the joy she derived from making it as she thought of me spending time with my new granddaughter. I believe that to be true, as she is clearly one who derives joy in using her many talents to bring happiness to others. I am so blessed to be one of the recipients of her goodness and generosity. This is one of those times when “thank you” doesn’t seem like enough. Nevertheless, it’s all that I have. Dustin, Miranda, Mari, and I thank you, Jeanne, from the bottom of our hearts.

If you are still with me, thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. Whether it’s posting or visiting other blogs, I haven’t been around nearly as much as I would like to be lately. So much to do… So little time… and seemingly less now that I have more. Whoa. Figure that sentence out. What I am trying to say is that I have a lot going on right now. My hope is that life settles down a bit one of these days and I find more time to show up here on a regular basis. In the meanwhile, take care. Hope to “see” you soon!

11 comments:

Laurel said...

Great stuff, love the flowers on the first card!

Sylvia said...

Wow! What a neat card. I was thinking about that stamp set the other day. I am planning on making a card with it and using red, and black polka dot print. Too funny.

The things that Jeanne sent are beautiful.

Iagree with your comments on news reporting. I think for every bad news they report they should report a good news story.

Kambrie has her 1st tooth!

Sparkplug17 said...

Such a lovely card!

Jeanne said...

Kathi, your card came out wonderfully. I love the red, black and white color combination. It sure makes things pop! Darn the fumbly fingers that make it so you have to work harder toward a finished card, but in this case, it allowed you an opportunity to practice more with your Copics, right?

I agree with your assessment of the news these days. So much doom and gloom. I think it gets to be a self fulfilling thing, if that's all you hear, it encourages more of the same.

I'm SO glad you are taking the time to enjoy your life these days. You so deserve the happiness that comes these days. It wasn't so long ago that you weren't completely happy in your job and now you are and it overflows to other parts of your life. It's good to see and hear about!

Thank you for the kind words you've said about the little projects I've made for you and Mari. I hope you enjoy them, but more importantly, I can't wait to see the relationship develop between you and little Mari. That is a beautiful thing!

Hugs!!

Alanna said...

Your card is super cute. I love those flowers.

And what wonderful and thoughtful gifts from Jeanne. That girl sure does have a lot of talent. What treasured keepsakes those will both be.

I hope you are enjoying your week.

Barb said...

Pretty card, Kathi...looks like you've made good friends with your Copics.

That Jeanne is one sweetheart! The gifts she sent you are lovely and being one who does the same type of crafts, I KNOW this was a labor of love. :)

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Hi Kathi,
What a wonderful card - I can't see at all where you dropped the stamp - you must have started over. It's my favorite colors, and makes me smile!

Jeanne is truly a darling - you nailed it. Her special gifts mean so much knowing who she is - and it would be a much better news report if we could hear about the good, wonderful people in this world instead.

Hang in there.
Hugs!

Carolyn said...

Cute card! What Gorgeous gifts from Jeanne! :)
Wondering if you ever got my little Christmas gift i sent you in December?
Have a great day!

pammie said...

Kathi - you are a treasure!

Tiff said...

I love your photo editing and that card, my goodness, your coloring is lovely!

Nancy said...

The afghan caught my eye and such a lovely card too, beautiful gifts! Some people are so talented :)