Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Here's the Lineup!

OK, here's a quick and easy Snow Friends card. I didn't have to make a 3-1/2 by 8-inch card, as this little snowman border is 5-1/2 inches wide - just right for a standard 4-1/4 by 5-1/2 inch card. The stamped image is matted three times, something I rarely do. However, there's a method to my madness! As with most stamped cards, I wanted my stamped image to be the focal point. I matted it with a narrow Cranberry border and then with a wider Topiary border and laid it on the bold background paper (from the retiring Deck the Halls paper packet). Guess what? The stamped image just kind of blended into the background. The bold stripe was just too overpowering. As I'd already coordinated the snowmen's caps with the colors in the paper, I didn't want to look for another background paper. A narrow white mat is a trick I use on scrapbook layouts when I want my photo to take center stage on bold paper. It was just enough to accomplish the desired effect on this card.

When I make a card, I put all of the paper elements together before making a decision regarding embellishments. I choose embellishments based on what they will add to the card. I thought about adding three cranberry mini-brads to the bottom right-hand corner of this card, but thought again. What would they add to the card? More than likely, they would add nothing more than additional postage requirements! My lack of embellishments on my cards have nothing to do with my being stingy with postage or my stash of "stuff." When I add an embellishment, I want it to add something to my design - whether it's a card or scrapbook page. These are my thoughts on all those little things that fill those little jars. I guess it's my "style," and I'm sticking to it!

No comments: