Thursday, January 3, 2008

Like Sinatra, I'll Do It My Way

I decided to try another crumpled paper flower, this time following the directions I posted - almost . . . I cheated a bit and cut my flowers out with my Cricut again, this time at 3, 2-1/2, and 2 inches. I didn't mist my cardstock with water before crumpling it. I also sanded this time and distressed with same-color ink. While the results are similar, I've deemed that I'll do it my way next time. I like working with soggy paper petals. Damp cardstock was easier for me to manipulate than dry cardstock.

My flower was made from Bamboo cardstock. I also used Bamboo for the sentiment (another saying from Impression Obsessions' Anytime Sentiments set). I also used Desert Sand cardstock along with the patterned papers from the Creative Basics Silhouette collection. The center of the flower is a Circle Window Charm backed with a piece of the Silhouette stripe. I photographed the card a couple of times with thoughts that something was seriously wrong with the card. Then, I noticed that the stripes weren't running straight up and down on my flower center. I pried it off (Glue Dots are some sticky little buggers!) and put it back on. Straight stripes made a significant difference. This stamping thing really is one big experiment, isn't it?

With regard to the sketch, it's similar to one I saw on Lisa Kavanaugh's fun Bits&Pieces blog. I like the flower she used, and I like the way she cut the words apart for her sentiment. I like her stitching! I'll probably give this same card one more stab when I get my hands on some of CTMH's Just Blooms Big Pinks paper flowers. I can't believe I don't have any yet. What control I'm exercising in the New Year . . .

As for a little jabber (not necessarily from the heart), I'm listening to the results of the Iowa caucuses with great interest and am blown away by the results of both parties. Yes, I have an interest in politics, although you'll never have to put up with me saying too much about them on this blog. Actually, I'm not as passionate about politics per se as I am about being informed and then, exercising your right/privilege to vote. Enough said.

1 comment:

Dee Jackson said...

Oh this turned out beautiful!!
Dee