Thursday, January 3, 2008

One Little Word

Taking the lead of Allie Edwards, my blog buddy Scrappernic, and a host of others, I'm chosing a word for 2008. To quote Allie, it's a word I can "focus on, mediate on, and reflect upon as I go about my daily life." Scrappernic's word is "delight," and it was in commenting on her word, I came up with my word for the New Year. My word is "serene" defined as:
se·rene /səˈrin/
–adjective
1. calm, peaceful, or tranquil; unruffled: a serene landscape; serene old age.
2. clear; fair: serene weather.
3. (usually initial capital letter) most high or august (used as a royal epithet, usually preceded by his, your, etc.): His Serene Highness. –noun
4. serenity; tranquillity.
5. Archaic. a clear or tranquil expanse of sea or sky.
Synonyms include: at peace, clear, collected, comfortable, content, cool, tranquil, and more. Words opposite of serene are agitated, anxious, and nervous. If you're curious about the concept behind one little word, read Allie's post from January 4, 2007. It makes sense. If you were to focus on one word for your life for 2008, what would it be?

No comments: