Thursday, January 10, 2008

So, How's My Memory?

I went over to my corner to clean up a bit before going to bed and ended up making a card. This is my rendition of Nicole's card on the Capture the Moment blog. For the most part, it's what I remembered of Nicole's card, and after checking it out, I don't think I did too bad. I made one intentional change, cutting the pieces I used to assemble the front from a cut-down piece of cardstock, 4 by 5-1/4. I wanted a little of the New England Ivy back to show. In doing so, I think I made the card more difficult. As you can see, the spacing was a challenge and isn't perfect. I lightly distressed the edges of the pieces with my Bamboo ink pad, and used a stamp from Stampin' Up's Peaceful Wishes set for my images. I thought I remembered the shape of the piece she used for her sentiment. I remembered brads and the fact that the cardstock she used for the sentiment was a shade of gold.

My little experiment here was twofold. First, I wanted to see if I could create a similar card from memory, and secondly, I wanted to see if I could "make do." In my earlier crafting days (and I'm going to date myself here), craft supplies were not so readily available. Stores like Michaels didn't exist nor did the Internet. I remember years when all of the red and green ribbon sold out in the fabric stores early in December. Those were the days when, if you didn't have or couldn't get what you needed, you figured something else out. In other words, you got creative. While I won't go so far as to say those were the "good old days," I will say that there are times nowadays when I feel I am less creative, because I have so many choices.

I'll also say that making this card didn't necessarily squelch my interest in Nicole's new Out on a Limb set. In fact, I'll be darned if she didn't post yet another card with the set while I was busy making do! If you haven't done so already, take a look . . . Nice, huh? And, I love the way she took her waterbrush to the little flowers.

According to my clock, I'm posting on a new day, which means this girly better get to bed. Have a great Friday. Talk to you later!

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

I think it's lovely! You did a wonderful job..."making do." I bought my first stamps from her last month. But I have to say, her blog is awesome when it comes to creative ideas.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Missy Hep said...

I love it!!! I didn't realize I could comment on your postings!!!
I LOVE this card!!! You do amazing work and thank you so very much for sharing with us!!!

Melissa

Juel said...

Very pretty Kathi!!

Dee Jackson said...

Great way to use what you have! It looks fantastic:)
Dee