Sunday, February 24, 2008

Feeling Botanical

I'm a nature lover, but I don't have a green thumb, and with the exception of the obvious - like roses, tulips, and daisies - I don't know much about plants and particularly, flowers. I just have a true appreciation for looking at, smelling, and walking amongst them. There's something that's purple and kind of cylindrical that grows wild and in patches in the road ditches in northern Minnesota, and it's the beautiful whatever-it-is that I was thinking of when I made this card. Twill ribbon was not my first choice for my card. However, for whatever reason, my Sweet Leaf ink looks a little to lime on this card, and I wanted to camouflage/soften the look of my stems a bit. I also added the Colonial White matting, because there wasn't quite enough contrast between the Petal and Smokey Plum cardstock.

Materials and Tools: Colonial White, Petal, and Smokey Plum cardstock; Petal and Sweet Leaf ink pads; Sweet Flowers and Papertrey Ink Mixed Messages stamp sets; 3/8-inch natural twill ribbon; Circle Window Charms; Stampin' Up Slot punch.

On my second card, I don't know if the blossoms are clumpy enough to emulate Queen Anne's Lace. Probably not, but it reminds me of something I think is pretty. It's not snow! Anyway, I got a little nervous as I was applying the Liquid Applique, as it looked like it was turning green from the Olive ink. Not to worry, however. Once it was dry, and I heated it with the embossing gun, it was white just like it was supposed to be.

Materials & Tools: Stampin' Up Kraft, retired CTMH Naturals, and Olive cardstock; Olive ink pad; Stampin' Up Oh, So Lovely and CTMH Happy Birthday stamp sets; Liquid Applique.

According to weather.com, it's only 21 degrees here. However, I'm setting here in sweats with my window wide open, appreciating the fact that I can breath fresh air. There's no wind nor is there a cloud in the sky. It's a beautiful day!

6 comments:

Jan Scholl said...

the puffy flowers remind me of pussy willows-why isnt it summer yet?

Unknown said...

I love your cards- it is nice to see spring coming! What size are the inside matting panels? 3 inches or so? TFS!

Anonymous said...

Love the botanicals! Very pretty, Kathi!

Kathy said...

Kathi, I love the botanicals! Love how simple yet elegant they look! I SO wish spring would get here soon!

Jeanne said...

Loving these cards, Kathi! Especially the first one. You have a definite green thumb...stamping wise, that is.

the second card is very nice, too, don't get me wrong, but that first sure appeals to my eyes.

Great work!!

Marjorie said...

You have made so many BEAUTIFUL and fun cards!!! I must not visit often enough cuz everytime I come here you have a hundred and one new ideas! I LOVE your cards! You are such a talented and inspiring lady!!