Thursday, February 7, 2008

It's All About LOVE Countdown - Day 7

Am I tired, lazy, or what? Actually, I'm kind of tired and feeling kind of lazy, but that isn't the reason I made this card. I made it because I was inspired by this card on the Lucky Clucker blog. Had I not struggled with the ribbon a bit, this would have been a two-minute card. Wait, I take that back. I also spent several minutes looking through my non-CTMH stamps searching for a stamp set that I finally came to realize I don't even own . . . Now, that's scary! Back to the ribbon, I really like the look of grosgrain ribbon but find it much hard to manipulate than other softer ribbons, particularly if it's wide like this ribbon is. If anyone has any tricks with regard to working with this stuff, I'd love to hear them. One more thing I determined while making this card is that I need some heavier cardstock that doesn't buckle when embossed. Other than that, you guessed it. I love this card's clean, uncluttered, and simple design.

As love is the subject of this post, I have to tell a little grandchildren story. The closer to three he gets, the more little Mathias tries to insist on having things his way. Last night, he did not want to go to bed, and he was mad to the point that he would not say his prayers or administer the usual hugs and kisses. Finally, I asked him, "Don't you like Grandma?" to which he responded with an adamant "No!" and a much gentler, "But I just wuv you." I told him I loved him, too, and few minutes after I left him to sulk by himself, I overheard him saying his prayers. There wasn't another peep out of him after that, and this morning, he was so full of hugs and kisses that I had a tough time getting away from him to go to work.

Today's quote is from writer Fyodor Dostoyevsky: "Only the heart knows how to find what is precious."

Materials & Tools: White Cardstock, Cranberry ink pad, Stampendous Holiday Words stamp set, Cuttlebug and Decorative Hearts embossing folders, Empressor guide and embossing tool, ribbon from Michael's.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

This is a beautiful card! Isn't it so great to be able to "whip" up a quick card? (except for those crazy knots!) Thanks for using me as your inspiration!

Jeanne said...

Okay, Kathi...it just keeps getting better! I simply love the things you come up with. I'm going to check out that blog too, and probably add another subscription to my reader! :o)

I don't know if this will help or {k}not (couldn't resist, sorry) but sometimes I cut two pieces of ribbon. One to wrap around the width of the card and a second smaller piece to tie a knot around the main piece. You may not be able to get the tails to go straight across the ribbon, but it might help speed up your process. Also, you can play with placement of the knot.

I feel another stamplift coming on! But I need to check to see if I have that cuttlebug folder.

Love the story, too. So sweet!~