Sunday, August 16, 2009

Time Out to Breathe

While I'm not certain if I have the time or simply took the time, I stole away to my corner for a few minutes. After all, all work and no play makes for a cantankerous mother of the groom. LOL.

About my card ... Although my mind is too cluttered for me to have any mojo of my own, I still have the ability to draw inspiration from others. My card was inspired by this card and this card on the No Time to Stamp? blog. Sharon's cards are beautiful, aren't they? As for explaining, I'm not sure there is much to say. I embossed the bottom background piece with my borrowed Scor-Pal and the smaller piece with a Cuttlebug folder. The sentiment is a JustRite stamp. I love those oval JustRite stamps but have yet to experience a weak moment and order 'em. I would do the LOL thing but am not certain my weak moments are all that funny. Know what I mean?

Materials & Tools: White Daisy and Black cardstock; Black ink pad; JustRite 10 Designer Borders & Centers set; Black organdy ribbon; Kaiser Kraft pearl accents; Scor-Pal; Cuttlebug w/Leafy Branch embossing folder and Nestabilities Classic Circles set; 3M foam mounting tape.

To tell you a little about my week, the wedding invitation adventure has been just that. First, the next time I design invitations (if ever), I will make 10 of them instead of one. Then, I might have an idea of how labor intensive they are. Secondly, the next time I need help, I will recruit some of my crafty friends. Dealing with a half dozen women who had never tied a square knot (and still can't) was more unnerving than trying to cope with a room full of eight-year-old Cub Scouts.

Miranda's recruits, however, were pretty good at placing the stamps on the envelopes until, that is, we ran out of envelopes. The printer either lost or ruined 75 envelopes. I have no way of knowing, because they won't own up to it and pretty much told me, "Tough luck." Customer service is obviously not this business' forte, and it will be a cold day in hell-o before they do any printing for me again. Finding 75 5x7-inch ivory envelopes with flaps quickly was part of the reason we went to Grand Forks on Friday. The search was looking pretty futile until I insisted we backtrack to JoAnne's "just to make sure." There, on clearance no less, were two sets of 50 ivory 5x7-inch cards and perfect, flapped envelopes. Had it not been for that stroke of luck I would have ended up paying overnight shipping for $10 worth of envelopes.

We also ran out of ribbon. My fault. Dumb me had figured out that I needed five 25-yard rolls, which mathematically, was correct and just enough. Why, oh why, though, at $1.97 a roll would I have not ordered an extra just to make sure? I reiterate, dumb on my part. Michael's saved the day on this one with me gathering up enough ribbon to redo a few of the ones that don't measure up to my standards - my project for this afternoon after I'm done talking about it.

We're going to finish these things today/this evening - as soon as the groom gets here. That will be one monkey - the most stressful one, I hope - off my back. Crazy, isn't it? So much commotion over something that, in a very short amount of time, won't make a bit of difference.

With that, I better grab my ATG gun and get back at it. I hope you're having a wonderful weekend. Thanks for stopping by!

14 comments:

Deborah Young said...

Well, what a stinky printer!!! And how fortuitous for JoAnne's to forsee that you would need those envelopes on clearance - tee hee! Good luck getting finished up tonight.

I just last night grabbed this same card (Sharon's) to case in the future. Both of her versions are gorgeous, and yours takes the cake!

Sarah said...

Beautiful card Kathi..I love the black and white and the embossing! Just perfect. The story of your trials with the invites yikes! I would have come up and done a few hundred with you Kathi!
Thanks for your kind words on my post the other day. It is so hard keeping a positive outlook!

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Take a deep, cleansing breath and let it out.

Your cards are wonderful and I've bookmarked Sharon's page to visit again - she's good! I have to tell you, I'm taking notes here! I may need to know about things like lunatic printers and ordering an extra roll of ribbon, and things like that one day (nothing in the works, just me dreaming!). I laughed out loud at the image of the room full of people who couldn't tie a square knot. YIKES! I do wish I could have been there to help you - I would have done it gladly!!!

Hugs, dear friend!

Alanna said...

Okay, first, your card is GORGEOUS. I enjoyed reading about your adventures with the invitations. I hope Miranda appreciates you and realizes how lucky she is.

I hope that the process and ordeal is done soon so that you can take a break and relax.

Laurel said...

Beautiful card! I feel for you with your troubles!

Sparkplug17 said...

Your card is gorgeous and so elegant!

Sorry for all the troubles...thats why I wouldn't let anyone help me. I suffered through it all, but I wasn't going to have any crooked mats or ribbon not tied right, lol.

mE said...

hey chica!

Oh, I LOOOOVE this card! You did a fab job!

I hear you on the invite nightmare. I also made my own for my wedding. Ugh. Never.again. At least not ever again with the ppl who helped. I had to convince my mil and the fil who were helping (my family lives over 1100 miles away) that perfectly centered double holes for the ribbon was required, not optional and that fraying the ribbon to death was avoided by the simple technique I showed them before we got started. We won't even go into hand addressing... I finally decided on taking them home and hand addressing them on my lunch hours at work. LOL! Crazy, crazy... the things we do to add a personal touch and to save money.

I should have eloped and sent emails. LOL (jk)

Hugs to you! Hope you find your mojo... she's probably vacationing with mine on a warm beach somewhere with a frosty beverage one hand while the other hand is being manicured by a cute cabana boy. :)

mE said...

... not that I wasn't grateful that I didn't have to do 500 invites all by myself, but next time I will employ crafty ocd papercrafters... lol!

Carolyn said...

Beautiful card Kathi! I happy for you that you were able to get the envelopes local. That stinks about the printer though. I had a zipper shop dump sewing oil on a pair of jeans i took in for repair. The spot was very noticable and smelt like sewing machine oil. They still denied it. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

Hooray for the ATG gun! I'm sorry life is stressful right now! Sounds like you're gonna need a vacation after this!

Jeanne said...

I'm so glad you took a few moments to yourself, Kathi! If anyone deserved it, it's you after the trials you've faced recently. What a not so smart printer...don't they know word of mouth is priceless? Guess not!

Your card is just beautiful and I'm completely impressed that you were able to focus on something else for a bit. I probably would have stewed over the issues if I were having them. LOL

Hopefully the rest of the wedding prep will go ever so much more smoothly! Hugs!

AaronB said...

Great card, love the embossing!

Leslie said...

When it is Cam's turn send out an SOS and we will ALL come up and do it with you. We know how to tie knots - right Ladies? I am so thankful my daughter wanted fun and not fancy. She also chose the tiniest place to hold a wedding so we couldn't invite the entire town. It was a one room school house built by Harriett Beecher Stowe and held 100 people comfortably.
The card is beautiful.

Maricar said...

Your story about the invitation creating process made me smile. I guess "smile" since (with the exception of added stress) it is all coming together well. And, LOL about recruiting crafty friends the next time -- I totally agree with you on that one.

As for today's card - simply lovely. I saw the same card over the weekend (that inspired you) ... although I never got the mental inspiration to become actual physical motivation! Love your card!