Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Long Night …

Gift Box_July 2010

… of sleep, that is! I went to bed before 10 and didn’t get up until after 10. That is more than 12 hours of sleep, which by the way my body is feeling right now, might have been a bit much. And while the little guys kept me going all day yesterday, I don’t think I should have required hibernation afterwards. LOL. After I finish this post, I’m going to work out the kinks.

Here’s a little project – a gift box – I started the other night and finally got around to finishing today. The template can be found here. Heavy cardstock or lightweight chipboard is recommended. I used CTMH cardstock, which is heavy enough for a gift box. Made from heavier stock, one could use it for storage. Additionally, two or more can be stacked. Oh, the possibilities! To give this particular box a little more flair, I am going to “paint” the butterfly’s wings with Orange Peel Stickles. Imagine a little sparkle – a bit more pizzazz!

Materials & Tools: Olive and Colonial White cardstock; Passages paper packet;  Olive, Bamboo, Autumn Terracotta, and Black ink pads; Goldrush marker; Live Inspired and Butterfly Kiss stamp sets; Antiqued Copy mini brads; Fiskars Euro paper cutter w/scoring blade; Cuttlebug w/Nestabilities Labels Three and Classic Circles sets; Terrifically Tacky tape; Sponge dauber.

Just My Type_3_July 2010

Here is another card made with the Just My Type set. Actually, I was going to show it to you yesterday but noticed, only after I’d photographed it and brought it up on my computer screen, that one of my mats was big-time crooked. Thus, minor surgery.

With no frills, it’s a good man card. In fact, I have just the man. The first editor I worked with at The Times has a birthday coming up on the 16th. I cannot tell you how much this man taught me and how grateful I am. He retired after I’d been there a couple of years, and, of course, would have been one who would have actually used a typewriter at one time.

Back to my card, I used Liquid Glass on the keys, space bar, and striker (I think that’s what it’s called). With the exception of using it as an adhesive, I don’t use a lot of Liquid Glass, because quite frequently, I’ve deemed it to look sloppy and used on big areas, it warps the paper. For yesterday’s push pin and for this card, however, it worked and gives the cards that “touch me” quality.

Materials & Tools: White Daisy, Black, and Textured Topiary cardstock; Black ink pad; Fawn Lawn Just My Type and CTMH Happy Birthday stamp sets; Prismacolor colored pencils; Gamsol odorless mineral spirits; Blending stumps; Liquid Glass.

How’s your day going? I’m starting to feel a little perkier. I mentioned doing yesterday’s dishes earlier but husband said he’d do them. As I post, he’s making lunch. It looks like I’m getting the Queen Treatment today. Maybe I’ll get to spend more time in my corner than I thought I would. LOL.

I hope you are having a fantastic day. As always, thanks for stopping by!

 

7 comments:

Leslie said...

Sadly it is Sunday and we have to go back to work tomorrow. I love your design on the box/drawer. I printed off the recipe, but forgot to get it out of my purse. I am making one of those multi-flap albums for my niece who is expecting a baby in September and I might try to make this gift box drawer for it to fit in. What a clever idea. Thanks for helping me think of that. - grins - My niece is big time into butterflies. I got out every stamp set I own with butterflies on it to decorate the album. I was going to blurf for awhile, but I think I will go back to the scraproom and work out the gift box. Hope your week is wonderful. Mine will be 4 ten hour days long.

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Hi Kathi,

It's a beautiful box - and YES, I can see the butterfly with orange stickles!

Your card is great - I love that set and have been trying to talk myself out of it! I learned to type on a manual Underwood. I get it. Your mentor will love the card!

Enjoy the royal treatment and your day!

Hugs!

Laurel said...

I love that box! Hey can you email me at laurelseabrook@shaw.ca I have a question for you.

Sparkplug17 said...

Such lovely projects!

Jeanne said...

Gorgeous drawer/box, Kathi! Love the colors and, of course, that butterfly, that will look gorgeous with the sparkles.

I also really like your card. I sort of remember typewriters like that. I think we might have had one hanging around our house while I was growing up. Would you believe there was a time when I preferred to type my reports for school with a typewriter over the computer? Might have had something to do with the DOS operating system, but still. Makes me laugh now.

I hope your week is wonderful, my dear friend!

Sheila H said...

I love the box and the card. Thanks so much for sharing!

Velta said...

Just passing through looking at different blogs and I found yours...What a great way to spend my time...Your box and card are lovely...as is that typewriter!!!