Monday, July 12, 2010

Typewriter Talk

Typewriter

What a coincidence. After my jabber about typewriters this past weekend, look what ended up in my possession today.

While I was taking care of grandchildren Saturday, Mom and some of my siblings were at the farm going through some odds and ends – mostly stuff that belonged to my grandparents and great-grandparents – stuff Mom didn’t want but not stuff she wanted to give away. They threw everyone’s names in a hat/container and drew to see who would get what. This typewriter was among my box of treasures.

The typewriter belonged to my maternal grandmother. I remember playing with it when I stayed at their house. I love it. According to some information I found on the Internet, this typewriter, made in the USA by L.C. Smith & Corona Typewriter, Inc. beginning in 1938, was among the first portable typewriters. I even found a copy of a display ad for it from a 1940 issue of Time magazine. Even better, I found one can still buy ribbon for it. Perhaps, it will amuse my grandchildren, too.

It’s funny how the random drawing worked out. I also received a beautiful ruby ring that belonged to my dad. It was his birthstone, and he always wore the ring on his pinky when he dressed up, which he loved to do and did rather frequently considering he was a farmer. While he had quite a lot of jewelry, this piece was the one that stood out to me – the one I can still “see” on his hand. Not overly masculine, it looks nice on and fits the middle finger of my right hand. Had I been given a choice, this ring is what I would have chosen. Lucky me.

I hope you had a good day. I did, although my attempt at creativity did not pan out this evening. I’ll try again tomorrow night.  Oh, and to answer a question for Jeanne. CPS is the Card Positioning Systems blog. I was last week’s winner! While the drawing is random and didn’t have anything to do with my card-making prowess, it was fun to win anyway! The sponsor was Gina K Designs. I love her stamps and am most anxious to see what I won.

And now, I’m off to bed. Have a great Tuesday, everyone! I’ll “see” you again then.

4 comments:

Laurel said...

Wow, what a treasure! love it.

Sparkplug17 said...

That is really neat, but so funny!

Jeanne said...

What an awesome day you had! Congrats on receiving that gem of a typewriter. It looks VERY similar to one we had at my house. And to receive the one ring that stands out to you, fabulous.

Thanks so much for sharing this and what CPS means. Congrats on winning there, too!

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Outstanding!!! I LOVE it - I, too, would be thrilled with the typewriter. I also understand about the ring - as I have a college class ring that was my Grandmothers; I can still see it on her hand when I hold it - there is a very strong bond there. It, too, had a red stone (glass, I'm sure!). I'm excited about your treasures and so glad you shared.

Hugs!