Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Best Ship of All

Finally! Here is a card I started – and almost finished – nearly two weeks agoText Objects_Dec 2010. For all the commotion, it seems like it has been month or more. Is life going to calm down now? It could … and should … I hope!

Back to the card, it’s simple – my signature style.

Materials & Tools: White Daisy, Holiday Red, and Pacifica cardstock; Black and Pacifica stamp pads; Pacifica and Holiday Red markers; Verve Stamps Text Objects stamp set; Silver mini brads; EK Success Dotted Wave border punch; 1-11/16 inch circle punch; 2-inch scalloped circle punch; Sanding block.

A Slice of Life: Wow. What a week it has been. Little Mari and her parents went home from the hospital on Tuesday. Mom/Great-grandma, my sister, Karen, and I were at the hospital at checkout time and helped them get ready to leave. It must have taken a good half-hour to get the baby into her car seat – a process that is very different from the way it was 30-plus years ago when car seats were optional. The hospital is quite particular about the process with a nurse buckling the baby in while offering a lengthy Mari Goes Home_Dec 28explanation of how it should be. And, did you know that car seats now have expiration dates? Manufactured in 2010, Dustin and Miranda’s car seat will be good for seven years. I have to wonder if young folks these days take such things into consideration when planning their families. LOL.

Mari’s going home was not the only excitement on Tuesday. Bjorn and Mathias’ mom and her husband had a baby that day – a sweet little boy they named Jonah. The new big brothers spent the night with us Tuesday night after having met their little brother and their new cousin before she left the hospital.

With the exception of a couple hours that I took off on Monday and leaving an hour early on Tuesday, I managed to work the rest of the week. We’re off tomorrow – thankfully! Oh, and I learned that next Friday will be my last day in my current position. I will then have a few days off before starting my new gig on January 12. Woo hoo! I am so ready for this new adventure.

What am I going to do this weekend? After straightening up my corner, I am going to teach myself to stamp again. If the weather is decent enough, I am going to venture out to visit my granddaughter and her parents. I believe the little boys are scheduled to spend New Year’s Day with us. There is also a holiday gather planned for that day at my sister and brother-in-law’s house in Fertile – again dependent on the weather. Currently, it is cold (5 degrees), snowing, and blowing with more of the same in the forecast – typical winter in the frozen tundra. After a couple of whirlwind weeks, being stuck at home is not the worst thing I can think of, although I really want to get better acquainted with little Mari! I have yet to here her cry. In the hospital, she made faces like she was going to fuss but then changed her mind.

What have you got planned for the weekend? Have you made any New Year’s resolutions? While I am not much for resolutions, I have lots of plans for things I want to accomplish once I have recovered from all of the end of the year excitement and transitioned into my new job. Tonight, however, I am going to visit my blogging buddies, clean up my corner, and then relax … maybe fall asleep early … dream… Thanks for stopping by and for all of you sweet comments on my last post. “See” you again tomorrow!

4 comments:

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Oh Kathi! I love your card, but mostly (I'm being honest) I LOVE hearing about Mari and Bjorn and Mathias' new brother and that you're finally getting to think about your new job!

Please tell me - do you pronounce it "Mary" or "Mar-e" (I'd ask long or short A but I'm not sure which is which! LOL) I need to know! I need to be thinking the correct pronunciation in my head.

Enjoy your weekend! I will - and I'll keep you posted!

HUGS!!!!

Jeanne said...

What a wonderful card, especially the text stamp. Love it!

I also love that you are busy with with family. Congratulations to Bjorn and Mathias! How exciting for them. I'm sure they'll be great big brothers and big cousins to Mari.

Life is full and happy for you all. Something to be grateful for without a doubt. Somehow, I don't think you are even feeling the cold. LOL

Enjoy the last hours of 2010 as you dream and plan for the new year to come.

HUGS!

Alanna said...

Super cute card. I love the words stretched across the card.

Now, Mari is just as cute as can be. She looks so snuggly and cozy in her carseat.

How fun that Jonah was born as well. A baby brother for your grandsons.

Enjoy the day off today and ringing in the new year. Thanks for everything!

Sylvia said...

What a great word stamp. Cute card. And like Sharli I love hearing about Mari, Bjorn and Mathias. That is charming photo of Mari.