Thursday, November 15, 2007

Has Anyone Noticed?

Have any of you noticed that some, but not all, of my cards are not 4-1/4 inches wide? No, I didn't think so. Most of my customers are cardmakers, and some were bummed when Close To My Heart discontinued its 8-1/2 by 11-inch Background and Texture papers several years ago. I was a little bummed myself. It wasn't just CTMH, however, as nearly all of the patterned paper available on the market is 12 inches square. This usually means that if you're a cardmaker, you have a lot of scraps. If you make your cards, 4-1/4 inches wide you can only get four 4-1/2 by 5-1/2 inch pieces of patterned paper from a 12 by 12-inch sheet of paper. I don't recall exactly when the light bulb turned on, but one day I realized that if I were to make 4 by 5-1/2 inch cards instead, I would get six cards from one 12 by 12. It's worked for me. You can see in the photo that it doesn't a huge amount difference with regard to the envelope, and I've never had a card recipient complain that his or her card is only four inches wide when it should have been 4-1/4! It's called getting a little more bang for your buck, and while I don't know if my customers care all that much, I've appreciated being able to get more cards from my 12 by 12-inch papers and cardstocks. I just thought you might want to know.

1 comment:

Martha said...

Wow...thank you! Total light bulb moment for me! I've only started to use CTMH products in my cards and was just starting to contemplate the "12x12" issue. And just surfing, you solved my dilemma!

Love your blog and your use of CTMH products!