Saturday, February 2, 2008

It's All About LOVE Countdown - Day 2

Day 1 and Day 2 of my Countdown are showing up on the same day, because this hair-brained idea came to me only shortly before midnight last night.

About this card, let's us say the background kind of evolved . . . The buttons, that I'm not so sure about, were added because I thought I should add something.

Valentine's Day Fact: During the late 1800s, postage rates around the world dropped, and the obscene St. Valentine's Day card became popular, despite the Victorian era being otherwise very prudish. As the numbers of racy valentines grew, several countries banned the practice of exchanging Valentine's Days cards. During this period, Chicago's post office rejected more than 25,000 cards on the grounds that they were so indecent, they were not fit to be carried through the U.S. mail.

I've got to wonder what was considered "indecent" in the late 1800s . . .

Materials and Tools: Love You stamp set; Colonial White, Blush, and Hollyhock cardstocks; Baby Pink, Blush, and Hollyhock ink pads; buttons from Baby Pink and Hollyhock My Accents; Colonial White Waxy Flax; Glue Dots.

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

Pink is one of my favorite colors! Thanks for sharing the facts about Valentine's Day because already I'm learning a lot! Can't wait to learn more.

scrappernic said...

LOVE this card! The colors are gorgeous! Is it bad that I want to see the "indecent" cards? LOL! I, like you, want to know what was considered indecent then. THose people would probably keel over in our society.