Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Canned Cash

It's been our tradition for the past few years to give the kids (as in adult children) a bunch of gifts along with Visa gift cards - for the purpose of going out after Christmas and buying what they really wanted. Instead of the gift cards this year, we opted for the real deal in the way of cold, hard cash. Here's my presentation - a little more interesting than a money envelope. In addition to the C-Notes, which line the interior of the cans nicely, I filled them with candy.

If you don't know how this is done, here's the run down: You need a can that opens with a flip-top. Remove the bottom of the can with a can opener. Dump the contents, and wash the can and bottom lid. Fill it with whatever you're going to put in it, and glue the bottom back on Liquid Glass (or in my case, Super Glue).

Materials & Tools: Small cans (Van Camp's Pork & Beans); Can Opener; White Daisy and Cranberry cardstock; Evensong Creative Basics Collection; Cranberry and New England Ivy ink pads; Clear Dollar Stamps You're So Sweet stamp set; 1 and 1-1/4 inch circle punches.

You should have seen me trying to explain to poor Marv what I wanted flip-top cans for in the grocery store today. He couldn't visualize what I was trying to explain and couldn't fathom the fact that I didn't care what was in the can. Had I not been in a "no nonsense" mood, the whole scene would have been hilarious. After it's all said and done, it is funny, and don't you suppose he thinks my canned cash is pretty darned clever?

Speaking of done, the gifts are all wrapped and under the tree. The house is spotless (thank heaven for small spaces!). In the way of food preparation, everything that can be done ahead of time for brunch and dinner tomorrow is done. The remainder of the evening will be quiet - a time to reflect and appreciate what Christmas means. With that, I'll leave you with a quote from writer Evelyn Underhill - "I hope your Christmas has . . . a little touch of Eternity in among the rush and pitter and patter and all. It always seems such a mixing of this world and the next-but that, after all, is the idea!"

2 comments:

Tracy said...

What a lovely quote!

Merry Christmas, and thank you for always sharing! :)

Tracy in PA

Jeanne said...

Merry Christmas, my special friend! What a wonderful post. Love the idea of using actual cash and putting it in a can. I can just see Marv being all perplexed at your request (shouldn't he know better by now, not to question...just comply???)

The quote is fabulous.

Have a joyous day!